One of the side effects of going to school for psychology is that I’ll probably always want to do a literature search to answer any lingering questions I have about behavior even if I don’t have to hand in a term paper and no one is going to be checking my references. :)
But the main reason for it is–wouldn’t it be amazing to have actual evidence that there are techniques that really work for manifesting?
Sometimes we have a hard time developing habits for things that we already know will work (like exercise)–but with something like manifesting it can be even harder, because it’s somewhat ephemeral, and we’re not even really sure what *it* is, even if we know it is a process.
So that’s what this post is all about. After sharing what my personal experiences have taught me and those of others, I want to share with you what the research shows.
I couldn’t find any credible studies on the topic of manifesting, but I did find several interesting studies on the effectiveness of visualization for manifesting!
The anecdotal evidence I’ve shared so far has basically been that both detailed and general visualizations work for manifesting, but that detailed ones can be more difficult–mostly because we tend to get attached to details.
Well, science seems to confirm that both approaches work as well. I found studies that showed that visualizing very specific, detailed things like healing broken bones, torn muscles, stretch ability, flexibility, increase of muscle force, and balance really works–and you can still get an effect even if you don’t do anything physical!
In terms of general, the only evidence I found was in reference to the placebo effect–believing you will get better in general by receiving a treatment that has no active medicinal qualities. And that’s more about setting a general intention than doing a visualization.
I also found research that confirms that specific, detailed visualization is effective for fighting cancer, increasing specific types of white blood cells, and even improving self-esteem! Of course, all of these things involve only the Self. I wasn’t able to find any studies on how visualization could improve outcomes that involve other people or circumstances outside of the Self. Maybe that’s where being more general needs to come into play. Once your manifesting starts to involve circumstances outside of yourself, there is less you are able to control (because you are interacting with wave functions and intentions that may differ from yours).
One of the most fascinating things I found is that one group that spent 75% of their time visualizing success at sports and the other 25% of their time physically practicing their sport, had more success than groups spending their time doing visualization and practice equally, or physical practice more!
This is definitely in line with teachings on manifesting–the idea that what happens in the mind is really more important than actual physical actions taken. This also backs up the idea that it is crucial to step away from doing the â€œphysical, nose to the grind work of whatever you’re looking to manifest and spend more time on an indirect approach–in this case, visualization.
So what’s the Big Takeaway?
There is definite evidence that detailed, specific visualization is effective to change something that involves only you. While I believe it is possible for this to work on creating external circumstances as well (also based on scientific theory–check out my free ebook for more information), the caution to be more general is about decreasing attachment and surrendering control.
Have you found this to be true in your life? Leave a comment and share which kind of visualizations have been effective for you or what you would like to try.
If you missed Part I and II, check them out here:
Or continue reading onto the next post, Part IV: How Detailed Does Your Visualization Need to Be? Part IV: 5 Tips for Effective Visualization
Would you like to find out the best way you (and only you) can create a targeted plan to manifest your dream and remove emotional blockages that are getting in the way?
Call me for a private coaching session to find out the easiest way to get clear and take your life to the next level.
Call 610-420-3040 or email me at Christina@CoachingWithChristina.com